Friday, February 3, 2012

Utah Moments!

Somethings just stand out as "Utah Moments"!

I am sure I will forget some...

Two weeks ago, I was at a conference with my school and a guy from the district joined us.  He was telling us how excited he was to be with us.  He continued to say that he was grateful for a school shirt someone had given him.  He talked about how he loved cougars - BYU and my school.  He was so giddy!!! Then he said, I just want to BARE MY TESTIMONY!!!  (I didn't know if I should laugh or feel embarrassed for him!)

On Tuesday, I went to the doctor. OH HOW I JUST LOVE THE OFFICE STAFF!  Only seeing them a couple times, it is silly but I feel like they are my relief society. haha they are all so friendly and always talking about churchy things...  to me this is VERY Utah!

On Wednesday, I went with the laurels, priests, and awesome leaders in my ward to WELFARE SQUARE!  Pretty monumental!  I drive by all the time and think of my "welfare square"... according to Daniel's dad and uncle - that would be Power and Baseline (Savers, Goodwill, 99 cent only, etc.) Anyways, we were assigned to the Deseret Bakery.  I wasn't sure what that would entail. We go in to find out we are slicing bread.  Each of us had to put on an apron, gloves, and a HAIR NET!!!  We watched a short video... totally filmed in a relief society setting then it jumps to the factory setting.  After being assigned a task, I began loading loaves of bread into a machine that sliced the bread... thank heavens... I thought i was going to be slicing hundreds of loaves by HAND.  The bread was sliced, bagged, tied, and placed on a moving track.  It was actually really fun and quickly became a competition.  The ONLY thing missing was pictures!

On Thursday,  after my school science fair, I went and watched Daniel play "Church Ball".  The week prior, I almost burst into laughter as the "Utah Church Sport Conduct" was read. After the game, I went to a meeting for Oakcrest... a churchy camp for girls in 7th and 8th grade.  A lady said, please excuse me I have a blue light I need to turn on.  NOT EVEN KIDDING! This lady busts out this handheld lamp!  She shines the light in her face.  Someone asked why she had it... She became a walking advisement!!!  She talked about how Utah is so depressing in the winter and she shines it for 30 minutes a day and it is better than an anti depression medicine around.  Only $300!!!!  It was not a big deal having the light on until they turned all the real lights off to watch a short video clip - SHE IS WAS SO BLUE AND SPOT LIGHTED!!! Totally distracted everyone.  haha, Ever heard of this?

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow  - I really want a "Utah Bob" but I can't let go of my long locks just yet!

Happy Friday! 

1 comment:

lynandsky said...

Ha ha - I always tell people Utah is different, but have never been able to give such great examples of WHY!? lol

I have heard of the blue-light thing, but I'm thinking "She really had to do that right then and there?? couldn't wait??"

Aaaand, I don't think it's so much the "Utah Bob" as it is the "Utah Big Hair." So if you do ever get the bob to make it officially Utah you got to bump it or tease it and hair spray like crazy - If you need any help with this, you know where to find me :)